· “Casanova”-Starring Heath Ledger *drool*, this romantic period comedy is eye candy for a girl’s sweet tooth. Heath has never looked yummier, the period Italian costuming is utterly to die for, and there’s swordplay! The story revolves around the dashing Casanova, and his quest to marry before being thrown out of Venice for his unadulterated behavior. A definite recommend if you’re on your own for the evening, ladies-the guys in your life would probably not be very interested in this film. An absolutely adorable movie!
· “Failure to Launch”-A romantic comedy with Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew McConaughey, this film is very cute! McConaughey’s character is an adult child living in his parent’s house, having actually never left. Parker plays the woman Mom & Dad hire to lure McConaughey out, under the guise of a blossoming relationship. The relationships between the main characters and their friends help move the film along. Witty and warm-hearted, this is a chick flick your guy just may find irresistibly funny. Another definite recommend!
· “Just My Luck”-Another romantic comedy (can you tell I had no husband at home last week? *g*) starring Lindsey Lohan. The first half of the film kept my attention-it was charmingly cute, and I did like the plot premise; extremely lucky girl meets extremely unlucky boy, they kiss, and the luck reverses. By the second half of the film, I had lost interest, and had begun surfing the net. While this movie would appeal to teen girls, probably the audience they were aiming for, for adults it is angel food cake, light and fluffy with very little substance to sustain. Not worth a rental, IMHO.
· “Poseidon”-A remake of the classic “Poseidon Adventure,” this flick was surprisingly enjoyable. As disaster movies go, there’s very few good ones, and even fewer great ones. “Poseidon” stays faithful to the old classic film, and then cranks it up a notch with more action and dramatic sequences. The acting was good, though there are no huge names in this film. A good recommend, this was an entertaining & worthwhile rental.
· “Silent Hill”-Holy crap! “Silent Hill” is creepy scary, creepier even than the video game upon which it’s based. The film revolves around a young adopted girl who’s been sleepwalking and having nightmares, upon which she calls out “Home! Silent Hill!”. Nightmares become real, however, as mother and daughter set out to discover the secrets behind this strange town. I was surprised to find out that CGI was only used for the atmospheric effects, like fog and falling/rising ash. The creatures are done only with latex and makeup and they are fabulously horrific. This is a must see for any fan of horror, and an absolute recommend. Rent this movie!!